Tuna noodle casserole is a classic comfort food that is easy to make and budget-friendly. Making it from scratch ensures that you have complete control over the flavors and ingredients used. Here’s how you can make the best tuna noodle casserole from scratch.
– 8 oz. egg noodles
– 2 cans of tuna, drained
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 cups of sliced mushrooms
– 1 cup of frozen peas
– 2 tbsp. of butter
– 2 tbsp. of flour
– 1 cup of milk
– 1 cup of chicken broth
– 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
– 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
2. Cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions and drain.
3. In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and mushrooms, and cook until they are softened.
4. Stir in the flour and cook for about 1 minute.
5. Gradually stir in the milk and chicken broth, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth.
6. Add the frozen peas and tuna to the skillet, and cook for a few minutes until the peas are thawed.
7. Add the cooked egg noodles and cheddar cheese to the skillet, and stir until everything is well combined.
8. Transfer the mixture to the greased baking dish and sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is heated through.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!
– Cook egg noodles according to package instructions.
– Sauté onion, garlic, and mushrooms in butter until softened.
– Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
– Gradually stir in milk and chicken broth, then add peas and tuna.
– Add cooked egg noodles and cheddar cheese; stir to combine.
– Transfer to a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs, and bake for 20-25 minutes at 375°F.