Beef stew is a classic dish that’s perfect for cold weather. Although it might seem daunting to make, it’s actually quite easy. This recipe for the best beef stew will guide you through the process and make you a pro at it. So let’s get started!
– 2 lbs. beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 2 tablespoons flour
– 2 cups beef broth
– 1 cup red wine
– 1 tablespoon tomato paste
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
– 3 potatoes, diced
– 1 cup frozen peas
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
2. Add the onions to the pot and sauté until they are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Sprinkle flour over the onions and garlic and mix until everything is well coated.
4. Add the beef broth, red wine, tomato paste, and dried thyme to the pot. Stir until everything is well combined.
5. Return the beef to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for at least 1 hour, or until the beef is tender.
6. Add the carrots and potatoes and continue to simmer until they are tender, about 30 minutes.
7. Add the frozen peas and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve hot with a slice of bread or over mashed potatoes.
– Brown beef in oil in a Dutch oven or pot before setting aside
– Cook onions until translucent, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute
– Sprinkle in flour, then add beef broth, red wine, tomato paste, and dried thyme
– Return beef to the pot and simmer for at least 1 hour
– Add carrots and potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes
– Add frozen peas and cook for another 5 minutes
– Season to taste with salt and pepper