Cooking a thick, hearty beef stew can take hours, but with an Instant Pot, you can have it ready in almost no time. If you’re new to Instant Pot cooking, don’t fret – this article will guide you through the steps you need to know to create a delicious beef stew that will rival grandma’s recipe.
– 2 lbs stew beef
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 cups beef broth
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
– 2 stalks celery, sliced
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp black pepper
– 1 tsp dried thyme
– 1 bay leaf
– 2 tbsp cornstarch
– 2 tbsp cold water
1. Brown the beef: Heat the Instant Pot to the sauté setting, add a tablespoon of oil, and brown the beef on all sides. Remove the beef and set it aside.
2. Sauté the onions and garlic: Add the onions and garlic to the Instant Pot and sauté until they’re translucent.
3. Deglaze the pot: Pour the beef broth into the Instant Pot, and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits of stuck-on beef from the bottom. This will add extra flavor to your stew.
4. Add the veggies and seasonings: Add the browned beef, diced tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf to the broth mixture. Give everything a quick stir to combine.
5. Set the timer: Close the Instant Pot lid and set the pressure to high. Cook for 30 minutes. Once the pressure cycle has completed, do a natural release for 10 minutes, then use the quick release to release any remaining pressure.
6. Thicken the stew: In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Turn the Instant Pot back to the sauté setting and pour the cornstarch mixture into the pot. Stir until the mixture thickens to your desired consistency.
7. Serve: Remove the bay leaf and serve your delicious beef stew hot with some crusty bread.
– Brown the beef and set it aside
– Sauté onions and garlic
– Pour in beef broth and deglaze the pot
– Add veggies, seasonings, and browned beef
– Pressure cook for 30 mins
– Natural release for 10 mins, then quick release
– Thicken stew with cornstarch mixture
– Serve hot with crusty bread.