New Orleans Cream Cheese Filled King Cake Recipe
If you’re looking for a classic yet indulgent dessert to please your guests, try making a New Orleans-style Cream Cheese-filled King Cake. This pastry is popular during Mardi Gras season and is a delicious way to bring a bit of Louisiana flavor to your home. Here’s how to make this sweet treat:
For the dough:
– 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1 envelope (0.25 oz) active dry yeast
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
– 3 large eggs
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– zest of 1 lemon
For the filling:
– 8 oz cream cheese, softened
– 1/2 cup powdered sugar
– 1 egg yolk
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the frosting:
– 2 cups powdered sugar
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
– food coloring (green, purple, and yellow)
1. In a mixing bowl, combine 3 cups of flour, granulated sugar, and yeast. Mix well and set aside.
2. In a saucepan over low heat, combine the milk and melted butter. Stir constantly until butter is melted. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Add warm milk mixture to the dry ingredients, along with eggs, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Mix well using an electric mixer. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until it forms a ball.
4. Knead the dough on a floured surface, until smooth and elastic. Place it in a greased bowl, cover with a clean towel, and let it rise for about 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
5. In the meantime, prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract, until creamy and smooth.
6. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a 20 x 14-inch rectangle. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
7. Roll the dough up tightly, starting from the long edge nearest you. Pinch the edges to seal the roll. Transfer it to a greased baking sheet, and form the roll into a ring, pinching the two ends together.
8. Let the dough rise for another 30 minutes, or until it has doubled in size.
9. Bake the king cake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until it’s golden brown. Let it cool completely.
10. As the king cake cools, prepare the frosting. In a mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, adding more milk as needed to reach the desired consistency. Divide the frosting into three bowls, and color each bowl with green, yellow, or purple food coloring.
11. Once the king cake is completely cool, drizzle the frosting over the cake in a zigzag pattern, alternating colors as you go.
12. Serve the king cake and enjoy!
– All-purpose flour, granulated sugar, active dry yeast, milk, unsalted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest, cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg yolk, food coloring.
1. Mix flour, sugar, and yeast.
2. Combine milk and butter, let cool.
3. Mix milk mixture, eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon zest with dry ingredients.
4. Knead dough, let rise.
5. Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg yolk, vanilla extract for filling.
6. Roll and spread cream cheese mixture on dough, roll it up.
7. Let rise again.
8. Bake and cool.
9. Mix frosting, divide in three bowls, color.
10. Drizzle frosting on cooled cake.
11. Serve and enjoy!