Beef Bourguignon is the ultimate French comfort food that has become famous worldwide. However, not everyone who wants to cook it will have a bottle of red wine in their kitchen. But wait, can we still make delicious and mouthwatering beef Bourguignon without wine? The answer is yes.
In this recipe, I will show you how to make a flavorful beef Bourguignon without wine. Make sure you follow the following steps closely to achieve the best results.
– 1 kg beef (stewing beef or round roast), cut into bite-sized pieces
– 1 large onion, diced
– 4 garlic cloves, minced
– 4 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced
– 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
– 2 cups beef broth
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– 2 tablespoons cornstarch
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 3 bay leaves
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– Salt and black pepper to taste
– Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large Dutch oven or casserole dish, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add the beef pieces and cook until browned on all sides, for about 8-10 minutes. Remove the beef and set it aside.
4. In the same pot, add the onions and garlic, and sauté them for a minute or so.
5. Add the beef broth, tomato paste, bay leaves, and thyme to the pot. Bring it to a simmer.
6. Add the browned beef back to the pot and stir to combine.
7. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place it in the oven. Cook for 2-2.5 hours, or until the beef is tender.
8. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2-3 tablespoons of cold water, and stir it into the stew to thicken the sauce. Cook for a few more minutes until the sauce has thickened.
9. Add the sliced carrots and potatoes to the pot, stir to combine, and cook for another 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
10. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper. Remove the bay leaves.
11. Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
– Be sure to brown the beef before adding it to the pot.
– Simmer the beef and vegetables in beef broth, tomato paste, and spices rather than wine.
– Add cornstarch to thicken the sauce, and cook until the sauce has thickened.
– Use sliced carrots and potatoes to enhance the flavor and nutrition of your beef Bourguignon.
– Finally, enjoy your delicious wine-free beef Bourguignon.