Bavarian cream is a delicious and versatile dessert that can be used as a topping or filling for cakes, pastries, and other sweet treats. It’s a classic French dessert that has been enjoyed for centuries, and it’s easy to see why – this rich and creamy dessert is hard to resist! In this article, we’ll take a closer look at Bavarian cream, how it’s made, and how you can use it in your own kitchen.
What is Bavarian Cream?
Bavarian cream, also known as crème bavaroise, is a classic French dessert that is made from a combination of custard, whipped cream, and gelatin. It has a rich and creamy texture that is light and airy, and it can be flavored with a variety of different ingredients including vanilla, chocolate, fruit purees, and liqueurs.
How is Bavarian Cream Made?
Bavarian cream is made by combining a vanilla custard with whipped cream and gelatin. The custard is made from a combination of egg yolks, sugar, and milk or cream, which is heated on the stove until it thickens. Once the custard has cooled, whipped cream is gently folded into it, and gelatin is added to help it set. The mixture is then chilled until it has set to the desired consistency.
How to Use Bavarian Cream
Bavarian cream can be used in a variety of different ways in the kitchen. Here are just a few ideas:
– Use it as a filling for cakes or pastries, such as cream puffs or éclairs.
– Use it as a topping for pies or tarts, such as a fruit tart or chocolate tart.
– Serve it on its own with fresh berries or a drizzle of caramel sauce.
– Flavor it with different ingredients to create your own unique variations, such as chocolate, espresso, or fruit purees.
Bavarian Cream Recipe
Here’s a classic Bavarian cream recipe that you can make at home. This recipe makes enough for about 6 servings.
– 2 cups heavy cream
– 1 cup milk
– 1/3 cup granulated sugar
– 4 egg yolks
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
– 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin powder
– 2 tablespoons cold water
1. In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the milk and 1/4 cup of sugar. Heat over medium-high heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is hot but not boiling.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent curdling.
4. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
6. In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let it sit for a minute or two until the gelatin has softened.
7. Pour the gelatin mixture into the custard mixture and whisk until fully combined.
8. Allow the custard mixture to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin from forming.
9. In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
10. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cooled custard mixture until fully combined.
11. Pour the mixture into individual serving dishes and chill in the fridge until set, at least 4 hours or overnight.
12. Serve topped with fresh berries or a drizzle of caramel sauce.
– Bavarian cream is a classic French dessert made from custard, whipped cream, and gelatin.
– It can be flavored with a variety of ingredients and used as a filling or topping for other desserts, or served on its own.
– To make Bavarian cream, custard is made from egg yolks, sugar, and milk or cream, and whipped cream and gelatin are added.
– It is important to allow the mixture to cool and set properly in the fridge before serving.
– Consider adding other flavors like chocolate, espresso, or fruit purees for varied flavor.