As the weather turns colder, there’s nothing more satisfying than a hearty and warming beef stew. This easy carne guisada recipe promises to be the best beef stew you will ever make, with plenty of rich, savory flavors and tender chunks of beef. Follow these steps to create the perfect winter comfort food.
– 2 lbs beef stew meat
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1 green bell pepper, chopped
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tbsp tomato paste
– 2 tbsp chili powder
– 2 tsp ground cumin
– 2 cups beef broth
– 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 1 cup frozen corn
– salt and pepper, to taste
– fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef stew meat and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
2. Add the onion, green bell pepper, and garlic to the pot and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomato paste, chili powder, and ground cumin and cook for another minute.
4. Add the beef broth, diced tomatoes (with their juice), and the reserved beef stew meat to the pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook, covered, for 1.5-2 hours, until the beef is tender.
5. Stir in the frozen peas and corn and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are heated through.
6. Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, garnished with fresh cilantro.
– For even more flavor, brown the meat in batches, making sure not to overcrowd the pot.
– You can substitute other vegetables for the peas and corn, such as green beans, carrots, or potatoes.
– If you like a thicker stew, you can stir in a slurry of cornstarch and water at the end of cooking to thicken the broth.
In conclusion, this easy carne guisada recipe is sure to become a favorite winter comfort food. With its rich flavors and tender chunks of beef, it’s the best beef stew you will ever make. Have fun experimenting with different vegetables and thickening agents. Bon appétit!