The Ultimate King Cake Recipe – Bruno Albouze
If you’re looking for a king cake that’s fit for a king, look no further than this ultimate king cake recipe by Bruno Albouze. This recipe is packed with flavors, textures, and colors that make it an impressive dessert for any occasion. The best part? It’s surprisingly easy to make!
– 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/3 cup granulated sugar
– 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
– 1/2 cup warm milk
– 1/3 cup melted butter
– 3 eggs
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
– 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
– 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds
– 1 tablespoon orange zest
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
– 1/3 cup raisins
– 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
– 1/3 cup chopped candied cherries
– 1/4 cup chopped candied orange peel
– 1/4 cup cognac
– 1 plastic baby for the inside of the cake
For the icing:
– 3 cups powdered sugar
– 1/4 cup lemon juice
– 2-3 tablespoons of milk
– purple, green, and gold sanding sugar (for decoration)
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and warm milk. Mix until well combined.
2. Add the melted butter, eggs, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, anise seeds, orange zest, and vanilla extract. Mix until the dough is formed.
3. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
4. Add the raisins, walnuts, cherries, orange peel, and cognac to the dough. Knead the dough again until all the ingredients are well combined.
5. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover it with a damp towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
6. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a large baking sheet.
7. Once the dough is ready, punch it down and shape it into a large circle, making a hole in the center. Place the plastic baby inside.
8. Place the cake on the prepared baking sheet and let it rest for another 30 minutes.
9. Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Let the cake cool completely before decorating it with icing and sanding sugar. To make the icing, mix the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk until it reaches a smooth consistency. Drizzle the icing over the cake and sprinkle sanding sugar on top.
1. Combine flour, sugar, yeast, warm milk, and spices
2. Mix in melted butter, eggs, and other ingredients to form the dough
3. Knead the dough and add raisins, walnuts, cherries, orange peel, and cognac
4. Let the dough rise for 2 hours and preheat the oven to 350°F
5. Shape the dough into a circle and place a plastic baby inside
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes and let the cake cool completely
7. Mix powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk to make the icing
8. Drizzle the icing over the cake and sprinkle sanding sugar on top
9. Enjoy this ultimate king cake fit for a king!