King Cake Making: How to Make this Traditional Mardi Gras Treat
King Cake is a traditional Mardi Gras dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. This delicious pastry is a rich and flavorful treat that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re celebrating Mardi Gras, or simply want to indulge in something sweet, this recipe will guide you through the process of making your very own King Cake.
– 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 packages active dry yeast
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/3 cup milk
– 1/4 cup water
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter
– 4 eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 tsp nutmeg
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
– 2-3 tbsp milk
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– Green, purple, and gold food coloring
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
2. In a separate saucepan, heat the milk, water, and butter over low heat until the butter is melted.
3. Gradually add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract and nutmeg.
4. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer until well combined.
5. Gradually stir in the remaining flour to form a dough.
6. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
7. Transfer the dough to a large bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 90 minutes, or until it doubles in size.
8. To make the filling, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and softened butter together in a bowl.
9. Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a 10-inch by 14-inch rectangle.
10. Spread the filling evenly over each rectangle of dough.
11. Roll the dough into a cylinder, starting at the widest edge.
12. Place the cylinders seam-side down onto a greased baking sheet and form into a ring, pinching the edges together to seal.
13. Cover with a damp cloth and let the dough rise for another 30-45 minutes.
14. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
15. Bake each King Cake for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
16. To make the icing, combine the confectioner’s sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Divide the icing into three equal parts and color one part green, one part purple, and one part gold with food coloring.
17. Drizzle the icing on top of the King Cake in a decorative pattern.
18. Serve warm and enjoy!
– King Cake is a traditional Mardi Gras dessert that is easy to make at home.
– The dough consists of all-purpose flour, yeast, sugar, salt, milk, water, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and nutmeg.
– The filling is made up of brown sugar, cinnamon, and unsalted butter.
– The icing is made up of confectioner’s sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, and is colored green, purple, and gold.
– The dough is rolled into a cylinder, filled with the filling, and shaped into a ring before baking.
– The icing is drizzled on top of the King Cake in a decorative pattern before serving.
– Serve your King Cake warm and enjoy this delicious pastry with your friends and family.