Old Fashioned Beef Stew Recipe: A Hearty and Nutritious Meal
Looking for a hearty, comforting meal that is packed with nutrients and flavor? Look no further than this Old Fashioned Beef Stew recipe! Made with wholesome ingredients and slow-cooked to perfection, this stew is not only delicious but also nutritious, providing a balanced mix of protein, carbs, and veggies.
Let’s dive into the recipe and explore some of the benefits of its key ingredients:
– 2 lbs of beef (chuck roast or stewing beef), cut into cubes
– 2 tbsp of olive oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
– 3 celery stalks, sliced
– 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
– 2 cups of beef broth
– 1 tsp of thyme
– 1 tsp of rosemary
– Salt and pepper
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef cubes and brown them for 3-4 minutes on each side until well-seared.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the pot, and sauté for 2 minutes until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the carrots, celery, and potatoes to the pot, and stir to combine.
4. Pour in the diced tomatoes and beef broth, and add the thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
5. Stir everything together, cover the pot, and let simmer over low heat for 2-3 hours until the beef is tender and the veggies are cooked through. Alternatively, transfer the pot to the oven and bake at 325°F for 2-3 hours.
6. Taste the stew and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve hot with some crusty bread or mashed potatoes.
Benefits of key ingredients:
– Beef: Beef is a great source of protein and iron, essential nutrients that help build and repair muscles, bones, and tissues. It also provides various B vitamins that support energy production and brain function.
– Carrots: Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a potent antioxidant that helps protect against various diseases and supports healthy vision, skin, and immune system.
– Celery: Celery is low in calories and high in fiber, which promotes satiety, digestive health, and bowel regularity. It also contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that may benefit heart health and cancer prevention.
– Potatoes: Potatoes are a good source of carbohydrates, potassium, and vitamin C, which are important for energy, hydration, and immune function. Contrary to popular belief, potatoes can be part of a healthy diet as long as they are prepared in a balanced way (e.g., boiled, baked, or roasted with minimal added fat).
– Old Fashioned Beef Stew is a delicious and nutritious meal that provides a balanced mix of protein, carbs, and veggies.
– The key ingredients of beef, carrots, celery, and potatoes offer various health benefits, such as protein, iron, beta-carotene, fiber, potassium, and vitamin C.
– To make the stew, brown the beef cubes, sauté the onion and garlic, add the veggies, tomatoes, broth, and seasonings, and cook over low heat for 2-3 hours.
– Serve the stew hot with some crusty bread or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!