Beef Bourguignon Recipe: How to Cook and Enjoy this French Classic
Beef Bourguignon is a French beef stew made with red wine, vegetables, and bacon. It is a classic recipe that has been enjoyed for centuries in France and now all around the world. It is a hearty and flavorful dish, perfect for a cozy night in or a special occasion. In this article, we will show you how to cook and enjoy this classic dish with step-by-step instructions.
– 2 lbs of beef chuck roast, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
– 6 bacon slices, chopped
– 2 carrots, chopped
– 2 celery stalks, chopped
– 1 onion, chopped
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 3 cups of red wine (such as Pinot Noir or Burgundy)
– 2 cups of beef broth
– 2 tbsp of tomato paste
– 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
– 2 tbsp of olive oil
– 1 tbsp of thyme leaves
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F.
2. In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add bacon and cook until crispy, about 10 minutes.
4. Remove bacon from the pot and set aside.
5. Season beef with salt and pepper.
6. Add beef to the pot in batches and cook until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
7. Remove beef from the pot and set aside.
8. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Add tomato paste and stir for 1 minute.
10. Add flour and stir for another minute.
11. Pour red wine into the pot and bring to a boil, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
12. Add beef broth, thyme leaves, and bacon to the pot and stir.
13. Add beef back into the pot and bring to a boil.
14. Cover the pot with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
15. Cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until beef is tender.
16. Serve hot with crusty bread or mashed potatoes.
– Beef Bourguignon is a French beef stew made with red wine, vegetables, and bacon.
– It is a classic recipe that has been enjoyed for centuries in France and now all around the world.
– To make Beef Bourguignon, you need beef, bacon, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, red wine, beef broth, tomato paste, flour, olive oil, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper.
– Cook bacon until crispy, brown beef, cook vegetables, add tomato paste and flour, pour red wine, add beef broth, thyme, and bacon, and cover with a lid and cook for 2 1/2 -3 hours in the oven.
– Beef Bourguignon is best served hot with crusty bread or mashed potatoes.