Tuna Noodle Casserole From Scratch – Depression Era Recipe
The Tuna Noodle Casserole is a classic American dish that originated during the Great Depression. It was an economical and easy way to feed families during times of hardship. This recipe has been passed down through generations and is still a favorite for its simplicity, versatility, and taste. Here is a step-by-step recipe for making the Tuna Noodle Casserole from scratch.
– 1 lb. elbow macaroni
– 2 cans of tuna (in water)
– 2 cups of milk
– 3 tablespoons of butter
– 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
– 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
– 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the package until it’s al dente. Drain it and set it aside.
3. Drain the cans of tuna and set them aside.
4. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
5. Add the flour to the melted butter and whisk it together until it’s smooth.
6. Gradually pour in the milk, whisking constantly until it’s smooth and thick.
7. Add the salt, pepper, and paprika to the sauce and stir to combine.
8. Add the tuna to the saucepan and stir until the tuna is evenly mixed throughout.
9. Add the cooked macaroni to the saucepan and stir until it’s evenly coated with the sauce.
10. Pour the tuna and macaroni mixture into a casserole dish.
11. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top of the casserole.
12. Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes or until it’s golden brown and crispy on top.
13. Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving.
– Cook the macaroni and drain it.
– Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour, and whisk until smooth.
– Gradually pour in milk and whisk constantly until it’s smooth and thick.
– Add salt, pepper, paprika, and tuna to the sauce and stir to combine.
– Add cooked macaroni to the sauce and stir until it’s coated with sauce.
– Pour tuna and macaroni mixture into a casserole dish, sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
– Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.
– Let it cool before serving.