Tuna noodle casserole is a classic comfort food in many households. With tender egg noodles, creamy sauce, and flavorful tuna, it’s easy to see why this dish has stood the test of time. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make tuna noodle casserole from scratch, including how to make a homemade creamy sauce that’s healthier than canned varieties.
– 8 oz egg noodles
– 2 cans of tuna, drained
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 1/2 cup chopped onion
– 1/2 cup chopped celery
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 3 tbsp unsalted butter
– 2 cups milk
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp onion powder
– Salt and black pepper, to taste
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook the egg noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and celery and cook until they’re softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the flour to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes until it’s fully incorporated into the butter mixture.
5. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
6. Add drained tuna and frozen peas to the saucepan and stir to combine.
7. Add cooked egg noodles to the saucepan and stir until everything is evenly coated.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
10. Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving.
– Boil egg noodles and drain them after cooking
– Sauté onions and celery in butter before adding flour and seasonings to create a roux
– Slowly add milk to the mixture while stirring constantly until it thickens
– Add tuna, frozen peas, and cooked egg noodles to the saucepan
– Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top
– Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the cheese melts