Bolo Rei, also known as the Portuguese Kings Cake, is a traditional dessert with a rich history. It is typically consumed throughout Portugal during the Christmas season and has become a staple in Portuguese cuisine.
– 500g flour
– 175g sugar
– 100g butter
– 100g blanched almonds
– 100g candied fruit
– 150ml milk
– 25g yeast
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1 lemon zest
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 dried fava bean
– 1 small trinket
1. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and add the sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Mix together thoroughly.
2. In another bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm milk until you have a thick, creamy texture.
3. Make a hole in the flour mixture and add the yeast mixture along with the eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Mix together until you have a smooth and elastic dough.
4. Add the butter to the dough, making sure to mix it in well.
5. Let the dough sit for an hour in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
6. Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F.
7. Knead the dough again and roll it out into a circle.
8. Add the fava bean and trinket, making sure they are well-hidden in the dough.
9. Place the blanched almonds and candied fruit on top of the dough, making sure to spread them out evenly.
10. Fold the edges of the dough towards the center, creating a wreath shape.
11. Place the dough onto a sheet lined with baking paper and let it rise for about 15 minutes.
12. Grease the top of the dough with beaten egg and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
13. Once finished, remove the Bolo Rei from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
14. Once completely cooled, dust with icing sugar and serve.
– Bolo Rei is a traditional Portuguese dessert typically consumed during the Christmas season.
– The recipe includes ingredients such as flour, sugar, butter, almonds, candied fruit, and yeast.
– The dough is prepared and kneaded, added with fava bean and trinket, and placed onto a sheet lined with baking paper.
– The dessert is baked in the oven for about 30 minutes before being removed, cooled, and dusted with icing sugar before serving.