Classic Beef Stew Recipe For Dinner
Looking for a hearty and satisfying meal that’s perfect for chilly nights? This classic beef stew recipe is sure to hit the spot. Made with tender chunks of beef and an array of vegetables, this stew is not only delicious, but it’s also packed with nutrients to keep you feeling healthy and satisfied.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this classic beef stew:
– 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 4 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 4 cups beef broth
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 tsp. dried thyme
– 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
– 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
– 1 cup chopped celery
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Season the beef with salt and pepper, and then toss it with flour to coat evenly.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef in a single layer and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned on all sides. Work in batches if necessary, and remove the beef with a slotted spoon to a plate.
4. Add the remaining oil to the pot and then stir in the onions and minced garlic. Cook the onions until they are softened and lightly browned, which should take about 5-10 minutes.
5. Pour in the beef broth, scraping the bottom of the pot to release any browned bits. Add the bay leaves and dried thyme.
6. Return the beef to the pot and bring everything to a boil.
7. Once the beef mixture is boiling, cover the Dutch oven with a lid and transfer the pot to the preheated oven.
8. Cook the stew for about 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
9. Remove the pot from the oven and add the chopped carrots, potatoes, and celery. Cover the pot and return it to the oven to cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
10. Remove the pot from the oven and stir in the frozen peas. Let everything cook for a few more minutes, or until the peas are heated through.
11. Discard the bay leaves and stir in the chopped parsley.
12. Serve the stew hot, garnished with additional parsley if desired.
– This classic beef stew recipe is a hearty and satisfying meal that’s perfect for chilly nights.
– The stew is made with tender chunks of beef and an array of vegetables, making it both delicious and nutritious.
– To make the stew, you’ll need beef chuck roast, all-purpose flour, salt and pepper, vegetable oil, onion, garlic, beef broth, bay leaves, dried thyme, carrots, potatoes, celery, frozen peas, and fresh parsley.
– The stew is a one-pot meal that’s easy to make and is perfect for feeding a crowd.
– The stew is cooked in the oven, which allows the flavors to develop and the beef to become tender.
– The stew is perfect for serving with a crusty loaf of bread and a glass of red wine.