Gluten-Free King Cake Recipe: A Delicious Mardi Gras Tradition
As Mardi Gras season approaches, it’s time to start thinking about that famous New Orleans treat: king cake. King cake is a sweet, cinnamon-filled pastry that’s traditionally enjoyed in the weeks leading up to Mardi Gras. However, for those of us on a gluten-free diet, it can be difficult to indulge in this festive treat. But fear not — with this gluten-free king cake recipe, you won’t have to miss out on the fun.
For the cake:
– 2 cups gluten-free flour (try a mix of rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch)
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/4 cup butter, softened
– 1/4 cup milk (use dairy-free milk for a vegan version)
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp salt
For the filling:
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup butter, softened
– 1 tbsp cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp nutmeg
For the icing:
– 1 cup powdered sugar
– 1-2 tbsp milk (use dairy-free milk for a vegan version)
– Green, purple, and gold sprinkles
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Add the eggs and milk, and mix well.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
6. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter for the filling.
7. Roll out the dough into a rectangle on a floured surface.
8. Spread the filling evenly over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
9. Roll up the dough tightly, starting at the long edge.
10. Form the dough into a ring on the prepared baking sheet, pinching the ends together to seal.
11. Bake the king cake for 25-30 minutes, until it’s golden brown and cooked through.
12. Let the cake cool completely before adding the icing.
13. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk for the icing. Add more milk as needed to reach a pourable consistency.
14. Drizzle the icing over the cooled king cake, then sprinkle with purple, green, and gold sprinkles.
15. Slice and serve your gluten-free king cake to your lucky guests!
– Gluten-free king cake is a traditional Mardi Gras dessert that can be enjoyed by those with gluten sensitivities.
– The cake is made with a mix of gluten-free flours, sugar, eggs, milk, and spices, and filled with a cinnamon and brown sugar mixture.
– The cake is rolled up into a ring and baked until golden brown, then topped with a sweet icing and festive sprinkles.
– This gluten-free king cake is a great way to celebrate Mardi Gras with friends and family!