Cooking a hearty beef stew in a Dutch oven is one of the most satisfying culinary experiences you can have. This one-pot dish is easy to make, and it’s perfect for feeding a hungry crowd. The secret to this beef stew lies in a unique ingredient that adds a depth of flavor that will surprise you.
– 1 lb. beef chuck, cut into cubes
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 2 tbsp. flour
– 2 tbsp. tomato paste
– 2 tbsp. olive oil
– 2 cups beef stock
– 2 cups chopped carrots
– 2 cups chopped potatoes
– 1 cup chopped celery
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 tsp. dried thyme
– 1 bay leaf
– 1 secret ingredient
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add beef chunks and brown it on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot and set it aside.
3. Add chopped onions and garlic to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they are softened and fragrant.
4. Add the flour to the pot and stir to coat the onions and garlic. Keep stirring for about a minute until the flour is lightly browned.
5. Mix tomato paste into the mixture and stir for about 1-2 minutes.
6. Add beef stock to the mix, and stir to combine. Bring it to a simmer.
7. Add chopped carrots, potatoes, celery, salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme, and the secret ingredient. Give everything a good stir.
8. Return the beef chunks to the pot and stir again.
9. Cover the Dutch oven with a lid and place it into the preheated oven.
10. Cook the stew for about 2-3 hours or until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
11. Remove the bay leaf and serve hot.
– Dutch Oven Beef Stew is an excellent one-pot dish that’s easy to make and perfect to feed a crowd.
– The secret ingredient in this beef stew adds a depth of flavor that will surprise you.
– Adding flour and tomato paste to the mix will thicken the stew and make it richer.
– The beef stock, along with the vegetables, gives a soupy texture to the stew.
– Cooking it low and slow in the oven will make the beef juicy and tender.
– The stew can be served with bread, mashed potatoes, or any other carbs of your choice.