Tuna Noodle Casserole is a classic dish that has been around since the 1950s. It is a casserole that includes canned tuna, cooked noodles, and a creamy sauce, often topped with breadcrumbs and baked until golden brown. Some people love it for its simplicity and comfort food qualities, while others hate it due to its reputation as a bland and uninspired dish.
Despite the mixed reactions, Tuna Noodle Casserole is a dish worth exploring. It is a versatile dish that can be tweaked and adapted to suit your tastes. Here is a simple recipe to get you started:
– 8 oz. egg noodles
– 1 can tuna, drained
– 1 can cream of mushroom soup
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1/2 cup frozen peas
– 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cook the egg noodles according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, milk, tuna, and frozen peas. Stir in cooked egg noodles and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour the mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
5. Sprinkle cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs on top of the dish.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top and heated through.
– Opt for high-quality canned tuna for better flavor.
– You can substitute cream of mushroom soup with cream of celery, cream of chicken or cream of shrimp soup as per your taste.
– Experiment by adding different vegetables to the dish such as chopped onions, mushrooms, canned corn, sliced carrots or chopped bell peppers.
– For more texture and flavor, add a crunchy topping like crumbled crackers, panko breadcrumbs or crushed potato chips.
In conclusion, Tuna Noodle Casserole is a dish that can be loved or hated based on individual tastes. However, by experimenting with ingredients and seasoning, it can be transformed into a flavorful and satisfying meal that’s worth trying out.
– Tuna Noodle Casserole is a classic dish that is either loved or hated.
– It is a casserole that includes canned tuna, cooked noodles, and a creamy sauce.
– It is a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit your tastes, and play around with its ingredients.
– Tips include upgrading canned tuna, choosing the right cream soup, experimenting with different vegetables and toppings, and adding more flavor and texture to the dish.