King Cake with Cream Cheese and Strawberry Jam Filling Recipe
King Cake is a traditional pastry commonly served during the Carnival season, particularly in New Orleans. This cake is typically decorated with Mardi Gras’ signature colors, purple, green, and gold, and has a small plastic baby hidden inside it. Whoever finds the baby in their slice is considered to have good luck and must provide the next King Cake.
Today, we’ll be making a King Cake with Cream Cheese and Strawberry Jam Filling. This delicious filling is the perfect complement to the sweet brioche dough and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any Mardi Gras celebration.
For the Dough:
– 3 ½ cups of flour
– 1 sachet of instant yeast
– 1 cup of warm milk
– 2 tbsp of sugar
– 1 tsp of salt
– 3 eggs
– 4 tbsp of unsalted butter
For the Filling:
– 8 oz of cream cheese
– ¾ cup of powdered sugar
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
– ½ cup of strawberry jam
– Purple, green, and gold sugar sprinkles
– 1 plastic baby figurine
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center and gradually pour in the warm milk, whisked eggs, and melted butter.
2. Mix everything together until a soft dough forms. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes or until it becomes smooth.
3. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a cloth, and let it rise for 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
5. In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract together until smooth.
6. Roll out the dough into a large oval shape, spread the cream cheese mixture over the top, and then spoon the strawberry jam over the cream cheese.
7. Fold one long side of the dough over the filling, and then repeat with the other long side so that both sides overlap.
8. Form the dough into a ring and pinch the edges to seal.
9. Carefully place the baby figurine inside the dough.
10. Bake the King Cake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Let it cool to room temperature, sprinkle some purple, green, and gold sugar over the top, and serve.
– King Cake is a traditional pastry popular in New Orleans during the Carnival season.
– This recipe includes a Cream Cheese and Strawberry Jam Filling.
– To make the dough, mix flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt together and add warm milk, eggs, and melted butter.
– Knead the dough for 10 minutes and let it rise for an hour.
– For the filling, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract together, and spoon over the rolled out dough, adding strawberry jam on top.
– Fold the dough over the filling, form it into a ring, then bake for 30-35 minutes.
– Let it cool, sprinkle purple, green, and gold sugar over the top, and enjoy your King Cake with Cream Cheese and Strawberry Jam Filling.