Classic Tuna Casserole with Spinach Recipe
Tuna casserole is a classic American family favorite that has been around for decades. This recipe adds a healthy twist by incorporating spinach, which is high in nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin C, and iron. The dish is easy to prepare, and you can even make it ahead of time and heat it up the following day.
– 8 oz. whole wheat elbow noodles
– 2 tbsp. butter
– 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
– 1 cup milk
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 1 can of tuna, drained
– 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
– ½ cup bread crumbs
– 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
4. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking continuously until the mixture thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
6. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted and combined.
7. Add the tuna and spinach to the cheese sauce and stir.
8. Fold in the cooked noodles and mix well.
9. Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish.
10. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese over the top.
11. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
12. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling around the edges.
13. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
– Tuna casserole is a classic American dish that is easy to make and perfect for families.
– By adding spinach to the recipe, you can make it healthier and more nutritious.
– This recipe uses whole wheat elbows, which provide more fiber than traditional pasta.
– The cheese sauce is made from scratch with cheddar cheese and milk.
– Bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese are added to the top for a crispy finish.
– This dish can be prepared ahead of time and reheated for a quick meal option.