If you’re looking for a show-stopping Mardi Gras dessert, look no further than this Spicy & Savory KING CAKE with Crawfish & Boudin Sausage. This savory twist on the traditional King Cake is sure to impress your guests with its bold flavors and unique ingredients.
But before we get started, let’s go over some key culinary terms and ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
– King Cake: A festive pastry that originated in New Orleans, typically made with yeast dough, cinnamon, and colorful sugar sprinkles.
– Crawfish: Also known as crayfish or crawdads, these freshwater crustaceans are a Cajun and Creole delicacy.
– Boudin Sausage: A traditional Cajun sausage made with pork and rice, seasoned with a blend of spices and onions.
Now that you’re up to speed, let’s get cooking!
– 1 lb crawfish tails, boiled and peeled
– 1 lb boudin sausage, casings removed
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1 bell pepper, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp black pepper
– 1/4 tsp dried thyme
– 1/4 tsp dried oregano
– 1/2 cup mayonnaise
– 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
– 1/4 cup ketchup
– 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
– 1 tbsp hot sauce
– 2 cups flour
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
– 3/4 cup milk
– 1 egg, beaten
– 1 plastic baby figurine (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large skillet, cook the boudin sausage over medium heat until browned and cooked through, breaking up any large chunks with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic to the skillet and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the crawfish tails, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, thyme, and oregano. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the crawfish are heated through and the spices are fragrant.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce until smooth. Set aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
7. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
8. Add the milk and beaten egg to the mixture and stir until just combined.
9. Pour the dough onto a floured surface and knead gently, forming it into a large circle.
10. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
11. Spoon the crawfish mixture onto the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches around the edge.
12. Use a knife or kitchen scissors to cut slits radiating out from the center of the circle.
13. Fold the flaps of dough over the filling, crimping the edges to seal.
14. Brush the top of the dough with the reserved mayonnaise mixture.
15. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and baked through.
16. If desired, hide a plastic baby figurine somewhere inside the cake before serving.
This Spicy & Savory KING CAKE with Crawfish & Boudin Sausage is a delicious and unique twist on a classic Mardi Gras treat. With its bold flavors and festive appearance, it’s sure to become a new tradition at your celebrations.
– A savory twist on traditional King Cake, this recipe incorporates crawfish and boudin sausage for a Mardi Gras party treat with bold flavors.
– After boiling and peeling crawfish tails, cook boudin sausage in a skillet, then mix with spices and vegetables to create the savory filling.
– A mayonnaise-based sauce adds extra kick to the recipe, and a homemade dough is used to surround the filling.
– The dough is then brushed with the mayonnaise mixture and baked to golden perfection.
– The finished King Cake can include a plastic baby figurine to follow tradition.
– This unique dish will make a delicious addition to any Mardi Gras celebration!