French King Cake, also known as Galette des Rois or Epiphany cake, is a traditional dessert served in France during the Epiphany holiday. The cake is made with puff pastry and filled with a sweet and creamy almond paste called frangipane. The cake is usually decorated with a golden paper crown or a small figurine hidden inside.
If you would like to make your own French King Cake, here is a recipe that you can try:
– 2 sheets of puff pastry (store-bought or homemade)
– 1 cup of almond flour
– 1/3 cup of sugar
– 1/4 cup of softened butter
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp of almond extract
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
– 1 egg yolk
– 1 tbsp of milk
– 1 small figurine or a dried bean (for hiding in the cake)
– Golden paper crown (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, sugar, butter, 1 egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
3. Roll out one of the puff pastry sheets onto a lightly floured surface to form a circle. Transfer the pastry sheet onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Pour the almond filling onto the center of the pastry sheet, leaving about an inch of space around the edges.
5. Hide the small figurine or dried bean somewhere in the filling. This is a fun tradition in France where whoever finds the figurine or bean in their slice of cake becomes the king or queen for the day!
6. Brush the edges of the pastry sheet with water to help seal the cake.
7. Roll out the second puff pastry sheet on a floured surface into a circle the same size as the first one. Carefully place it over the filling and press the edges to seal the cake.
8. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and milk to make an egg wash. Brush the egg wash over the top of the cake.
9. Use a sharp knife to make diagonal lines across the top of the cake, creating a diamond pattern. Be careful not to cut through the pastry.
10. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until it has turned golden brown.
11. Let the cake cool for a few minutes before serving. Don’t forget to place the golden paper crown on top of the cake to crown the king or queen of the day!
– French King Cake is a traditional dessert served in France during the Epiphany holiday.
– The cake is made with puff pastry and filled with sweet and creamy almond paste called frangipane.
– The cake is usually decorated with a golden paper crown or a small figurine hidden inside.
– To make the cake, mix together almond flour, sugar, butter, egg, almond and vanilla extracts to create a creamy mixture.
– Roll out puff pastry and place almond filling in the center, hiding a small figurine or dried bean inside.
– Seal the cake shut and brush with egg wash before baking.
– Bake for 25-30 minutes and let the cake cool for a few minutes before serving with the paper crown on top to crown the king or queen of the day!