Crockpot Beef Stew : A Nutritious and Delicious Recipe
A hearty beef stew can warm the body, nourish the soul and delight the taste buds. This delicious recipe will show you how to make a flavorful and healthy beef stew in a crockpot or slow cooker. Here are the ingredients and steps to follow:
– 1.5 to 2 lb. beef stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces
– 1 onion, chopped
– 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
– 3-4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
– 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 can of diced tomatoes (14 oz.)
– 2 cups of beef broth or stock
– 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
– 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
– 1 bay leaf
– Salt and pepper to taste
– ½ cup of frozen peas (optional)
1. Start by trimming the fat from the beef stew meat and then cut it into bite-size pieces. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a skillet or a cast-iron casserole over medium-high heat. Add some oil and then brown the beef on all sides until it is well-seared. This step will create a Maillard reaction that will enhance the flavor and color of the meat.
3. Transfer the beef to the crockpot or slow cooker.
4. Add the chopped onion, carrots, potatoes, minced garlic, diced tomatoes with their juices, beef broth or stock, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and the bay leaf to the crockpot.
5. Mix everything together until well combined.
6. Cook the beef stew on low heat for 8-10 hours or on high heat for 4-5 hours. This slow cooking method will tenderize the meat and allow the flavors to marry together.
7. About 30 minutes before serving, check the seasoning of the stew and add salt and pepper to taste. If you like, add 1/2 cup of frozen peas to the stew to give it some color and additional nutrients.
8. Serve the beef stew hot with some crusty bread or rice. Enjoy the rich and savory taste of this nutritious and delicious comfort food.
– Trim and cut the beef stew meat into pieces
– Sear the beef in a skillet or casserole to enhance the flavor
– Add the beef and all the other ingredients to the crockpot or slow cooker
– Cook the stew on low heat for 8-10 hours or on high heat for 4-5 hours
– Season the stew with salt and pepper before serving
– Add some frozen peas for color and nutrition
– Serve the beef stew hot with bread or rice