Baking a Classic Birthday Cake From Scratch: King Arthur Flour Cake Recipe
Children love to have their cake and eat it too! While store-bought cakes are readily available, nothing beats the taste of a homemade cake, especially when it’s baked from scratch. In this article, we will be looking at how to make a classic birthday cake from scratch using the King Arthur Flour Cake Recipe, and with a little help from a kid chef, baking is made even more fun!
– 2 1/4 cups King Arthur Flour Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
– 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
– 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 1 cup milk
– 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
– 3 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour two 8″ round cake pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add the butter, milk, and vanilla essence. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pans, and smooth the surface with a spatula.
6. Bake the cakes for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Remove the cakes from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes, then turn them out of the pans onto a rack to cool completely.
8. Once the cakes are cool, spread frosting over one layer, and top with the other layer. Use the remaining frosting to frost the top and sides of the cake.
Kid Chef Tips:
– Let your child measure the ingredients and count how many eggs are needed.
– Allow your child to mix the ingredients together with your supervision. This is a great way to teach them how to work slowly and carefully in the kitchen.
– Let your child spread the frosting on the cake. This will help them develop their fine motor skills and give them a sense of accomplishment when they see their cake being enjoyed.
– Making a classic birthday cake from scratch is a fun activity for parents and children to do together.
– The King Arthur Flour Cake Recipe provides a simple and delicious base for a homemade cake.
– The baking process can be made more entertaining for kids with the Kid Chef tips.
– Measuring the ingredients, mixing the batter, and spreading the frosting are all tasks that children can assist with.
– By involving your child in the baking process, you are giving them the opportunity to experience joy and satisfaction in creating something from scratch.