Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe: A Healthier Version of a Classic Dish
Tuna noodle casserole is a classic dish that has been enjoyed by many families over the years. However, most traditional recipes are loaded with fat, calories, and sodium. This skinny tuna noodle casserole recipe eliminates most of these unhealthy ingredients without sacrificing flavor. In this article, we’ll be providing a step-by-step guide on how to prepare this healthier version of tuna noodle casserole.
– 8 oz. whole wheat egg noodles
– 2 cans of tuna in water, drained
– 1 cup of frozen peas
– 1 cup of low-fat milk
– ½ cup of chicken broth
– 1 tsp. dried thyme
– 1 tsp. garlic powder
– 1 tsp. onion powder
– 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
– 1 tbsp. olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– ½ cup of low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking oil.
2. Cook the egg noodles according to package instructions and drain.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and flour. Stir constantly until the mixture forms a thick paste.
4. Gradually add the milk and chicken broth. Whisk the mixture constantly until smooth.
5. Add thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
6. Add the peas and tuna to the skillet and stir until combined.
7. Add the cooked noodles and mix thoroughly.
8. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with low-fat shredded cheddar cheese.
9. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
10. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
– Calories: 284
– Fat: 6g
– Protein: 22g
– Carbohydrates: 36g
– Sodium: 320mg
– Tuna noodle casserole is a classic dish that can be made healthier with a few key substitutions.
– This recipe uses whole wheat noodles, low-fat milk, and chicken broth to reduce the fat and sodium content.
– The addition of thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, and low-fat shredded cheddar cheese add flavor to the dish.
– The recipe takes approximately 30 minutes to prepare and serves six people, with each serving containing only 284 calories and 6g of fat.