Healthy Tuna Casserole | Easy Meal Prep
If you’re searching for a healthy and easy-to-make meal, look no further than this delicious tuna casserole. Made with nutrient-rich ingredients like whole-grain pasta, vegetables, and canned tuna, this dish is perfect for busy individuals who want to eat well without sacrificing taste.
– 8 ounces of whole-grain pasta
– 1 can of tuna (preferably packed in water)
– 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
– 1 cup of chopped broccoli
– 1 cup of chopped carrots
– 1 cup of chopped onions
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tablespoon of whole wheat flour
– 1 cup of low-fat milk
– 1/4 cup of low-fat grated Parmesan cheese
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the pasta according to the package instructions, strain it, and set it aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 375F.
3. In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
4. Add the mushrooms, broccoli, and carrots, and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Set the skillet aside.
5. In a separate saucepan, whisk the flour and milk over medium heat, making sure there are no lumps.
6. Add the Parmesan cheese and continue whisking until the sauce thickens.
7. Add the tuna, pasta, and vegetables to the saucepan and mix well.
8. Pour the mixture into an oven-safe casserole dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
9. Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving.
This healthy tuna casserole is a filling and nutritious meal that’s perfect for busy individuals who want to eat well without sacrificing taste. Here are some of the benefits of this dish:
– Whole-grain pasta provides fiber, B vitamins, and minerals that promote gut health and support a healthy weight.
– Canned tuna is rich in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants that support heart health and brain function.
– Vegetables like mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, and onions provide vitamins, minerals, and fiber that improve digestion, boost immunity, and reduce inflammation.
– Using low-fat milk and Parmesan cheese instead of heavy cream and regular cheese lowers the calorie and fat content of the dish without compromising taste.
– This dish is easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time for a quick and healthy meal during the week. It’s also a great way to use up leftover vegetables and canned goods.
Overall, this tuna casserole is a perfect example of how healthy eating can be both delicious and convenient. Give it a try and see for yourself!