Fruit cake is a classic dessert that is often associated with the holiday season. The rich, fruity flavor and dense texture of fruit cake make it a popular treat for any occasion. However, many people are intimidated by the idea of making a fruit cake from scratch. Luckily, with the help of a professional baker, you can learn how to make the perfect fruit cake at home!
– 2 cups chopped walnuts
– 2 cups raisins
– 2 cups currants
– 2 cups candied cherries (half red, half green)
– 1 cup candied mixed peel
– 1 cup chopped dried apricots
– 1 cup dark rum
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon ground cloves
– 1 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
– 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
– 2 cups brown sugar
– 6 eggs, at room temperature
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, raisins, currants, candied cherries, candied mixed peel, dried apricots, and dark rum. Mix well and let the mixture sit overnight, covered.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg.
4. In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
7. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined.
8. Add the fruit mixture (including any liquid) to the batter and mix until everything is evenly distributed.
9. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan and pour the batter into the pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
10. Bake the fruit cake for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
11. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
12. Once cool, you can brush the top of the cake with additional rum or brandy, if desired.
– Mix together nuts, dried fruit, and rum and let sit overnight.
– Whisk together dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
– Cream butter and brown sugar in a stand mixer, then add eggs and vanilla extract.
– Gradually mix in dry ingredients until just combined.
– Mix in fruit mixture.
– Bake at 325°F for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
– Let cake cool in pan for 10-15 minutes before transferring to wire rack.
– Optional: brush top of cake with additional rum or brandy.