If you want to celebrate Mardi Gras the authentic way, you need a Mardi Gras King Cake! This delicious pastry is a staple of Mardi Gras festivities and Southern Living has laid out the perfect recipe for you to make at home.
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 2 large eggs
– 1/2 cup warm milk (about 110°F)
– 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
– 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1 plastic baby figurine
– 1 pound powdered sugar
– 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– Purple, green, and yellow decorating sugar
1. In a large bowl, combine the granulated sugar and softened butter. Mix with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and continue to mix until well combined.
2. Warm up the milk in a microwave or on the stove until it reaches about 110°F. Then, sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk and let it sit for 5 minutes until it dissolves.
3. In a separate bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. Add the dry mixture into the butter and sugar mixture, alternating with the milk mixture, stirring until well combined.
5. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour to the dough and knead it with your hands until it becomes smooth and elastic. This will take about 8-10 minutes.
6. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a towel. Let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
7. Once the dough has risen, punch it down and transfer it to a floured surface. Roll it out into a large rectangle shape.
8. Press the plastic baby figurine into the dough from the bottom so that it is completely hidden. Then, fold the dough in half, sealing the edges well.
9. Arrange the dough into a circle shape and connect the ends, pinching them together to seal.
10. Let the dough rise for another hour.
11. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the cake on the middle rack of the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until it is golden brown.
12. To make the glaze, mix the powdered sugar, melted butter, milk, and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth.
13. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake, spreading it evenly.
14. Sprinkle the purple, green, and yellow decorating sugar over the top of the cake in alternating sections.
15. Serve the cake immediately, making sure to warn your guests of the hidden baby figurine inside the cake!
– Make the dough by mixing sugar, butter, eggs, yeast, flour, and spices.
– Knead the dough and let it rise for an hour.
– Punch down the dough and add the baby figurine before forming a circle shape.
– Let the dough rise for another hour and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350°F.
– Glaze the cake with powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla extract.
– Decorate with purple, green, and yellow sugar.
– Serve and enjoy!