Randazzo’s Camellia City King Cakes: Deliciousness Inspired by Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras isn’t just about the elaborate parades and flashy costumes; it’s also about the food. And one of the most iconic dishes is the king cake, which is typically served during the carnival season. While many bakeries make their own versions of this sweet treat, none can compare to Randazzo’s Camellia City King Cakes. If you want to learn more about this delicious dessert and how it’s made, keep reading.
– 1 tbsp active dry yeast
– 1/2 cup warm water
– 1/2 cup plus 1 tsp granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup evaporated milk
– 2 large eggs, beaten
– 1/4 cup melted butter
– 4 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 2 cups powdered sugar
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– Green, gold, and purple sugar sprinkles
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water with 1 tsp sugar. Let it sit for 5 minutes until frothy.
2. Add evaporated milk, eggs, melted butter, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar to the bowl. Mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until a dough forms.
4. Knead the dough on a floured surface until it becomes smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it, and let it sit in a warm place for 1-2 hours until it doubles in size.
6. In another mixing bowl, cream together brown sugar and softened butter until the mixture is fluffy.
7. Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a large rectangle. Spread the brown sugar and butter mixture over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
8. Roll up the dough starting from the long side, then pinch the edges to seal the dough into a ring.
9. Place the dough on a greased baking sheet, cover it, and let it rise for another hour.
10. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the king cake for 25-30 minutes until it’s golden brown.
11. For the icing, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a bowl until it becomes smooth.
12. Once the king cake is cool, spread the icing on top of it, then sprinkle the green, gold, and purple sugar over the top of the icing.
– Randazzo’s Camellia City King Cakes are iconic Mardi Gras treats that no other bakery can compare to.
– The ingredients for the cake include active dry yeast, granulated sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, melted butter, all-purpose flour, salt, cinnamon, light brown sugar, and unsalted butter.
– The dough is rolled out, filled with a brown sugar and butter mixture, rolled up into a ring, and baked until golden brown.
– The icing for the cake is made from powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, and is topped with green, gold, and purple sugar sprinkles.