Meatloaf is a classic comfort food that many people love. This recipe by Ina Garten, better known as the Barefoot Contessa, is a great one to try if you’re in the mood for a hearty, flavorful meatloaf that’s easy to make.
The ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are:
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 2 cups chopped onions (2 onions)
– 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
– 2 teaspoons kosher salt
– 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
– 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
– 1/3 cup chicken stock
– 1 tablespoon tomato paste
– 2 1/2 pounds ground beef (preferably 80 percent lean and 20 percent fat)
– 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs (recommended: Progresso)
– 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
– 1/2 cup ketchup (recommended: Heinz)
Here are the steps to make Ina Garten’s meatloaf:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the onions and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
4. Add the thyme, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste to the skillet and stir to combine.
5. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes.
6. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, and beaten eggs.
7. Add the onion mixture to the meat and stir until it’s well combined.
8. Transfer the meat mixture to a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and spread the ketchup on top.
9. Bake the meatloaf for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
10. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
In summary, here are the key points to remember:
– Ina Garten’s meatloaf recipe calls for ground beef, onions, spices, Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and ketchup.
– The meat mixture is combined with bread crumbs and eggs to create a flavorful and moist meatloaf.
– The meatloaf is then baked in a loaf pan with ketchup spread on top.
– The finished product should have an internal temperature of 160 degrees F before it’s removed from the oven.
– Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.