Red Wine Beef Stew Recipe
Warm up on a chilly night with this savory and rich beef stew made with a bold red wine sauce. This dish is perfect for those who love to indulge in hearty and filling meals.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people
– 2 pounds of beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
– 4 garlic cloves, minced
– 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
– 2 cups of good quality red wine
– 2 cups of beef broth
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
– Salt and black pepper to taste
– Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the beef into 2-inch pieces, removing any excess fat or gristle. Season with salt and black pepper.
3. In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 6-8 minutes. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
4. In the same pot, sauté the chopped onions, carrots, and garlic until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Pour in 2 cups of good quality red wine to deglaze the pot, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
7. Add 2 cups of beef broth, 2 bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
8. Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the browned beef. Cover the pot with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
9. Bake for 2 hours and 30 minutes, or until the beef is tender and the sauce is thick and flavorful.
10. Remove the pot from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
11. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and enjoy the hearty and warming red wine beef stew.
– To prepare the beef, cut it into 2-inch pieces and season with salt and black pepper.
– Brown the beef in a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot.
– Use the same pot to sauté the chopped onions, carrots, and garlic until softened.
– Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
– Add 2 cups of red wine and 2 cups of beef broth to the pot, along with 2 bay leaves and 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
– Simmer the mixture and add the browned beef. Cover the pot with a lid and bake in the oven for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
– Remove the pot from the oven, let it cool, and garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Enjoy!