Classic Tuna Casserole Recipe
Tuna casserole is a staple recipe in most households. It is a budget-friendly, easy-to-prepare meal that can feed a family. This classic tuna casserole recipe is a timeless comfort food that has withstood the test of time. With a few tweaks, it can be made healthier without sacrificing taste.
– 8 ounces of egg noodles
– 2 (5 oz) cans of tuna, drained
– 1 (10.5 oz) can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
– 1 cup of frozen peas
– 1 cup of milk
– 1 cup of breadcrumbs
– ½ cup of chopped onion
– 1 tablespoon of butter
– 1 tablespoon of olive oil
– 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
4. Add in the drained tuna, condensed cream of mushroom soup, frozen peas, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
5. Add the cooked egg noodles to the skillet and mix until fully coated with the sauce.
6. Pour the mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish, spread it out evenly.
7. In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs with some melted butter, sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the casserole.
8. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the breadcrumbs are crispy and golden brown.
9. Remove from the oven, allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Summary of recipe:
– Cook egg noodles according to the package
– Sauté chopped onions, add drained tuna, condensed cream of mushroom soup, frozen peas, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
– Add egg noodles and mix well.
– Transfer mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumb/butter mixture.
– Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
– Let the casserole cool a little before serving.