Colomba, a Traditional Italian Easter Cake
Are you looking to add a traditional Italian Easter dessert to your table this year? Look no further than the Colomba, a sweet, dove-shaped cake that is a staple of Italian Easter celebrations. Follow this easy recipe from Cooking with Simona to make your own delicious Colomba at home.
– 4 cups all-purpose flour
– ¾ cup sugar
– ½ teaspoon salt
– 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
– 1 cup warm water
– 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 2 eggs
– 2 egg yolks
– zest of 1 lemon
– zest of 1 orange
– 1 cup candied oranges, chopped
– 1 cup almond flour
– pearl sugar for decorating
– 1 egg yolk for egg wash
1. In a medium bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt.
3. Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
4. Add the softened butter, eggs, and egg yolks, and mix until a soft dough forms.
5. Add the lemon and orange zest, candied oranges, and almond flour, and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
6. Cover the dough with a clean dish towel and let it rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
7. Grease a dove-shaped or round cake pan with butter.
8. Knead the dough lightly to remove any air pockets, and shape it into a dove or round shape. Place the dough in the prepared pan and let it rise again for about 1 hour.
9. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
10. Brush the surface of the dough with egg yolk for the egg wash, and decorate the top with pearl sugar.
11. Bake the Colomba for 45-50 minutes, or until it is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
12. Remove the Colomba from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack.
13. Let the Colomba cool completely before serving.
– Colomba is a traditional Italian Easter cake shaped like a dove.
– The cake is made with flour, sugar, yeast, water, butter, eggs, citrus zest, and candied fruit.
– The dough is kneaded and shaped into a dove shape or round shape, and then baked until golden brown.
– The cake is typically decorated with pearl sugar and served as a sweet Easter dessert.
– Follow this easy recipe from Cooking with Simona to make your own delicious Colomba at home.