German Chocolate Cake, also known as the German Chocolate Cake, is a decadent dessert made with rich chocolate cake layers paired with a creamy coconut-pecan frosting. This widely popular cake is a delight for anyone with a sweet tooth, and with a recipe like Preppy Kitchen’s, you can easily make it at home.
For the cake:
– 2 cups of all-purpose flour
– 2 cups of granulated sugar
– 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
– 2 teaspoons of baking powder
– 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 1 cup of buttermilk
– 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
– 2 eggs
– 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
– 1 cup of hot water
For the coconut pecan frosting:
– 1 cup of evaporated milk
– 1 cup of granulated sugar
– 3 egg yolks
– 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 1 1/3 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
– 1 cup of chopped pecans
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease two 9-inch cake pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add in buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract, and whisk until well combined.
4. Slowly add in hot water, and stir the mixture until it’s smooth and well combined.
5. Divide the cake batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing them and placing them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
8. While the cakes are cooling, make the coconut pecan frosting. In a large saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, and unsalted butter.
9. Cook the mixture over medium heat, constantly stirring, until it thickens and starts to bubble around the edges.
10. Take the mixture off the heat, and stir in vanilla extract, sweetened shredded coconut, and chopped pecans.
11. Allow the frosting to cool and thicken for about 20 minutes before spreading it between the two cake layers and on top of the cake.
12. Serve and enjoy!
– German Chocolate Cake is a rich and delicious dessert.
– Preppy Kitchen’s recipe for German Chocolate Cake is easy to follow.
– The cake is made up of rich chocolate cake layers paired with a creamy coconut-pecan frosting.
– Ingredients for the cake include all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, buttermilk, eggs, and hot water.
– Coconut pecan frosting ingredients include evaporated milk, granulated sugar, egg yolks, unsalted butter, sweetened shredded coconut, and chopped pecans.
– The cake needs to be baked at 350°F for 30-35 minutes.
– The frosting is made by heating and stirring the mixture over medium heat until it thickens and then stirring in vanilla extract, coconut, and pecans.
– Spread the frosting between the cake layers and on top of the cake. Allow the frosting to cool before serving.