If you’re looking to use up your sourdough discard, this Sourdough Chocolate Cake recipe from King Arthur Flour is a must-try. Not only is it a great way to reduce waste, but it also makes for a delicious dessert that everyone will love.
– 1 cup sourdough starter, discard or unfed
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder or coffee powder
– 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 large egg
– 1/2 cup hot water
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9″ round cake pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sourdough starter, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
3. Add in the salt, baking soda, espresso powder, and cocoa powder. Mix until well combined.
4. Beat in the egg and hot water. Mix until smooth.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
This Sourdough Chocolate Cake is perfect for any occasion. Serve it on its own or top it with your favorite frosting or glaze.
– Use up your sourdough discard with this delicious Sourdough Chocolate Cake recipe.
– Combine starter, flour, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract in a bowl.
– Mix in salt, baking soda, espresso powder, and cocoa powder.
– Beat in egg and hot water.
– Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350°F.
– Allow cake to cool before serving with frosting or glaze.