Beef stew is a classic and comforting dish that is a staple for many households. Here is a recipe for an English beef stew without red wine. The recipe serves four and takes around two hours to cook.
-1 ½ lbs of beef stew meat
-4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
-2 celery stalks, chopped
-2 onions, chopped
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-1 bay leaf
-2 cups of beef broth
-1 tsp of thyme
-1 tsp of rosemary
-2 tbsp of tomato paste
-2 tbsp of flour
-2 tbsp of vegetable oil
-salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. In a large Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown for about 5 minutes.
3. Remove the beef and set aside. In the same pot, add the onions, celery, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the flour and stir well.
5. Add the beef broth, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir everything well.
6. Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the beef back in the pot.
7. Add the carrots to the pot and stir everything well.
8. Cover the Dutch oven with a lid and transfer it to the oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
9. Discard the bay leaf before serving.
10. Serve your stew with your favorite side dish.
-Preheat oven to 325°F.
-Brown the beef for about five minutes.
-Add onions, celery, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook for five minutes.
-Add flour and stir well.
-Add the beef broth, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
-Bring mixture to a simmer and add beef and carrots.
-Cover the Dutch oven and transfer it to the oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
-Serve stew with your favorite side dish.