Ramadan, the holy month of Muslims, is a time of purification, reflection, and giving. The month-long fast, which is observed during daylight hours, is broken with Iftar, a meal taken after sunset. While traditional dishes like biryani and haleem are commonly served during Iftar, desserts hold a special place, and Lemon Egg Flan is an excellent choice for those looking for a light yet delicious dessert to enjoy during Ramadan.
For the flan:
– 5 large eggs
– 1 can of condensed milk
– 1 cup of fresh lemon juice
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
For the green caramel:
– 1 cup of sugar
– 1/2 cup of water
– A few drops of green food coloring
1. To make the flan, preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
2. In a bowl, whisk the eggs until well combined.
3. Add the condensed milk and continue whisking until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
4. Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract and whisk until well mixed.
5. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and place it in a larger baking dish filled with water to create a water bath. The water should reach halfway up the baking dish with the flan.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the flan is set but still slightly jiggly.
7. Remove from the oven and let it cool before refrigerating for at least 2 hours, or until set.
8. To make the green caramel, heat the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture turns golden brown.
9. Add a few drops of green food coloring and swirl the pan to mix.
10. Carefully pour the caramel over the cooled flan and let it cool.
11. Once cooled, refrigerate the flan for an hour or until the caramel has hardened.
12. To serve, run a knife around the edge of the flan and invert it onto a plate.
13. Slice and serve the Lemon Egg Flan topped with the green caramel.
– Lemon Egg Flan is a light and delicious dessert to enjoy during Ramadan.
– To make the flan, whisk eggs, condensed milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract, pour the mixture into a baking dish, and bake in a water bath.
– To make the green caramel, heat sugar and water until golden brown, add green food coloring, and pour over the cooled flan.
– Refrigerate the flan for at least 2 hours or until set, and then top with the green caramel.
– Serve the Lemon Egg Flan for a refreshing and tasty dessert during Iftar.