Beef stew is a classic comfort food that is perfect for chilly days. A homemade beef stew recipe on a stove top is easy to make and can be customized with your favorite ingredients. This dish can be prepared in advance and reheated when needed. Follow this recipe and enjoy delicious homemade beef stew that is rich in flavor and nutrients.
– 2 pounds beef chuck or stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
– 2 celery stalks, sliced
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 1 tsp dried thyme
– 1 tsp dried rosemary
– 2 bay leaves
– 2 cups beef broth
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Cut the beef into small cubes and season them with salt and black pepper.
2. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add vegetable oil.
3. Add beef cubes in batches and brown them for about 5 minutes, set them aside.
4. In the same pot, add chopped onions and minced garlic, cook for 2 minutes until translucent.
5. Add carrots and celery, cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add cubed potatoes, canned tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
7. Pour beef broth and bring to a boil.
8. Return the browned beef to the pot and stir gently to combine.
9. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1- 1 ½ hours or until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked.
10. Discard bay leaves from the pot and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper according to your taste.
11. Let it cool for a few minutes and then serve hot in your favorite bowls.
– Cut the beef into small cubes and season them with salt and black pepper
– Add the beef in batches to a heated pot with vegetable oil and brown for 5 minutes.
– Add onions and garlic, cook for 2 minutes until translucent.
– Add other vegetables including potatoes, carrots, celery, canned tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves.
– Pour beef broth and bring to a boil.
– Return the browned beef to the pot and simmer on low heat for up to 1 ½ hour.
– Discard bay leaves and serve hot in your favorite bowl.