Greek-Style Beef Stew – How to Make an Amazing “Stifado”
Greek cuisine is known for its rich flavors, and one dish that perfectly captures this is the Greek-style beef stew, known as stifado. This hearty and flavorful stew is traditionally made with beef, onions, garlic, tomatoes, herbs, and spices. The slow-cooking process results in tender meat that is infused with the complex flavors of the aromatic vegetables and spices. Here is how to make an amazing stifado that will take your taste buds on a journey to the Mediterranean.
– 2 lbs of beef, cut into bite-size cubes
– 3 large onions, chopped
– 4 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 can of chopped tomatoes
– 2 tbsp of tomato paste
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
– 1 tsp of dried oregano
– 1 cup of beef broth
– 1 cup of red wine
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– Olive oil, for sautéing
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef cubes and brown them on all sides until they are nicely seared. This should take about 5-8 minutes. Be sure not to overcrowd the pot, or the meat won’t brown properly.
2. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
3. Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pot and sauté them until they are soft and translucent. This should take about 5 minutes.
4. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, beef broth, and red wine to the pot. Stir everything together and bring it to a boil.
5. Return the beef to the pot and stir it in, making sure that it is covered by the liquid. Reduce the heat to low and let the stew simmer for about 2 hours, or until the beef is tender and the flavors are well developed.
6. During the cooking process, check the stew occasionally and add more liquid if necessary.
7. Once the beef is tender and the stew has thickened, remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Serve hot with crusty bread, or over rice, mashed potatoes, or noodles.
– Preheat a large pot or Dutch oven and brown 2 lbs of beef cubes until they’re browned on all sides.
– Add 3 finely chopped onions, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 can of chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp of tomato paste, 2 bay leaves, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 tsp of red pepper flakes, and 1 tsp of dried oregano. Pour in 1 cup of beef broth and 1 cup of red wine, then stir well.
– Return the beef to the pot and let the stew simmer for at least 2 hours.
– Remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick before serving hot with your choice of side dish.