Fat Tuesday is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate Mardi Gras than with a traditional King Cake from Publix? This year, Publix is offering a BOGO (Buy One Get One) deal on their King Cakes, so you can share the celebration with friends and family.
In addition to the King Cake, another classic Mardi Gras dish is gumbo. Gumbo is a stew that originated in Louisiana and is typically made with seafood, sausage, vegetables, and a roux (a thickener made from flour and fat). It’s a hearty and flavorful dish that’s perfect for feeding a crowd.
So why not combine the two and have a BOBO (Buy One King Cake, Get One) Gumbo party? Here’s a recipe to get you started:
– 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
– 1 lb. andouille or smoked sausage, sliced
– 1 onion, diced
– 1 green bell pepper, diced
– 3 stalks celery, diced
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 1 tsp. dried thyme
– 1 tsp. dried oregano
– 1 tsp. paprika
– 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
– Salt and black pepper, to taste
– Cooked rice, for serving
1. In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk continuously until the roux is dark brown, about 20-30 minutes.
2. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
3. Add the sausage, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, thyme, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the shrimp to the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
5. Serve the gumbo hot over cooked rice.
And don’t forget the King Cake for dessert! Publix’s King Cakes are made with a sweet dough and filled with cinnamon and sugar, and topped with colorful icing and sprinkles. It’s a fun and festive way to end your BOBO Gumbo party.
– Publix is offering a BOGO (Buy One Get One) deal on their King Cakes for Mardi Gras.
– Gumbo is a traditional Mardi Gras dish that’s perfect for feeding a crowd.
– Combine the two with a BOBO (Buy One King Cake, Get One) Gumbo party.
– Try the recipe for shrimp and sausage gumbo above.
– Don’t forget to serve King Cake for dessert.