Dutch oven beef stew is a hearty and comforting meal that can keep you warm on a chilly winter day. The thick and rich broth of the stew combines tender chunks of beef, vegetables, and herbs resulting in a rich, flavorful and healthy meal. This recipe of absolute best Dutch oven beef stew is easy to make and can be enjoyed with crusty bread.
– 2 pounds of beef, (beef chuck or stew beef)
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 large diced onion
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 4 cups of beef broth
– 1 (6-ounce) can of tomato paste
– 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
– 1 teaspoon of paprika
– 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
– 2 bay leaves
– 3-4 carrots cut into chunks
– 3-4 potatoes cut into chunks
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1. Prepare the beef – Cut the beef into 2-inch chunks and pat dry using paper towels. Season the beef with salt and black pepper, then heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
2. Brown the beef – Add the beef to the heated Dutch oven and brown it for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the beef is browned, remove it using a slotted spoon and set it aside.
3. Saute onion and garlic – Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onions and garlic to the Dutch oven. Cook the onions until they are soft and translucent for around 5 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and thyme – Make a small well in the center of the onions and garlic, and add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and thyme. Stir everything together, and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Add the beef and beef broth – Return the beef to the Dutch oven, and add enough beef broth to cover everything, about 4 cups. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 2 hours or until the beef is tender.
6. Add potatoes and carrots – Once the beef is tender, add carrots and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Allow it to simmer until the vegetables are tender for another 30 minutes.
7. Serve – Finally, discard the bay leaves, and serve the Dutch oven beef stew hot with crusty bread or over rice.
– Cut Beef into 2 inch chunks and season with black pepper and salt
– Brown the beef and set aside
– Saute onions and garlic until onions turn soft and translucent
– Add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and thyme and let it simmer for two minutes
– Return the beef and add enough beef broth to cover everything.
– Add the potatoes and carrots
– Allow the vegetables to cook until tender for 30 minutes
– Serve hot with crusty bread or over rice.