Paska – Gorgeous Russian Easter Specialty for You to Make
Easter is an important celebration for the Russian people and Paska is a traditional bread that is commonly served during this special occasion. This sweet, rich, and golden braided loaf is studded with raisins and decorated with a cross on top, making it a wonderful centerpiece to any Easter table.
If you want to try this delicious bread at home, we’ve got you covered. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make Paska from scratch.
– 2 cups warm milk
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 8 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 packages dry yeast
– 8 large eggs, at room temperature
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 cup raisins
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm milk, sugar, and softened butter. Stir until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
2. Mix in 4 cups of the flour and the dry yeast. Beat the mixture until it becomes smooth.
3. Add in the eggs, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture again until it is thoroughly combined.
4. Mix in the remaining 4 cups of flour until the dough becomes sticky.
5. Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
6. Place the dough in a large greased bowl and cover it with a damp towel. Let it rise in a warm place for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until it doubles in size.
7. Punch the dough down and mix in the raisins.
8. Grease and flour a Paska mold or a 9-inch cake pan.
9. Shape the dough into a large round loaf and place it into the mold.
10. Cover it with a damp towel and let it rise for another 30 to 40 minutes.
11. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
12. Brush the top of the loaf with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
13. Bake for about 50 to 60 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown.
14. Remove the loaf from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
15. Once cooled, decorate the top with a cross of icing made with powdered sugar and milk.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Paska!
– Paska is a sweet, rich, and golden braided loaf studded with raisins and decorated with a cross on top.
– In order to make Paska, you will need warm milk, granulated sugar, unsalted butter, all-purpose flour, dry yeast, eggs, salt, vanilla extract, and raisins.
– To make the bread, you will need to combine the ingredients, knead the dough, let it rise, shape it, and then bake it in the oven.
– Once cooled, the top of the loaf should be decorated with an icing cross made with powdered sugar and milk.